Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Error in Judgment

As the diplomatic options finally are grinding to their expected failure, Rummy speaks on Iran in the way I do so love:
Q Mr. Secretary, the vice president just addressed the issue of Iran and said, quote, "We will not allow Iran to have a nuclear weapon." He said if Iran remains on its current course, it will face "meaningful consequences."

So my question to you is, first, do we have the ability to keep Iran from getting a nuclear weapon? And what are those "meaningful consequences"? Could they be military?


SEC. RUMSFELD: I have not read the full text of that. The president and the vice president and the secretary of State have all spoken on this issue. It's -- I am not going to get into details of anything relating to that.

I will say this about Iran. They are currently putting people into Iraq to do things that are harmful to the future of Iraq. And we know it, and it is something that they, I think, will look back on as having been an error in judgment.


Q Why is that?


SEC. RUMSFELD: I've said all I have to say.
Then a little later,
Q What kind of force? I'm sorry.


SEC. RUMSFELD: The Quds Force. The Revolutionary Guard types.


Q Well, are we talking about for actual violence or for political purposes?


SEC. RUMSFELD: To the extent we find that -- I don't think we could consider them religious pilgrims.

...

Q Do you think this is backed by the central government in Iran? What's your --

SEC. RUMSFELD: Well, of course. The Revolutionary Guard doesn't go milling around willy-nilly, one would think.
That's good material, comedy gold!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home