Monday, January 29, 2007

Tesla Motors

The world is changing, and quickly.

I had been planning that my dream car would be an Aston Martin, perhaps the V8 Vantage.

With its impending sale though, the future of the brand is in doubt.

A hybrid-electric car is also interesting, but it lacked a performance edge to make it totally attractive.

But now there's a new cool high-performance car on the block!

From Tesla Motors.

Zero to Sixty in four seconds -- like a Lamborghini!

And it's not even a hybrid, but totally electric!

Range of 250 miles per charge, much like a regular car.

Cost: one cent per mile. Which is like getting 135 miles per gallon!

Initial production sold out in four months and the list is being taken for 2008.

And you'll need $100,000.

But they are planning to roll out one at half that price in not too long.

And without oil money, the islamic world and its jihad will fade back into the sands.

It's a race of technologies: can we get off oil before they get the A-bomb?

Oh yeah, it also turns out termites can make ethanol from wood, so bioengineering might make ethanol actually economical on a mass scale...

Any number of good things can happen!


Blogger The_Bad said...

This is positive news, but it overlooks a more global picture.

And without oil money, the islamic world and its jihad will fade back into the sands.

Unfortunately, this view forgets that the United States only accounts for about 25% of the world's consumption. So, if the entire country immediately goes to a fully electric car tomorrow, the islamic world still gets the other 75% of global oil consumption.

It's a good start, but I can pretty much guarantee that, especially with liberal inaction, they will get the bomb well before the world stops depending on oil.

2:00 PM, January 29, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree, unfortunately. Note that a lack of oil will not stop Jihad. Many terrorists are born in Western countries (Britain, France, Canada have had recent examples) and are not affected by oil.

The ONLY way to win the WoT is to change Islam into a reformed version.

9:09 PM, January 29, 2007  
Blogger RDS said...

It is the oil money however that funds the spread of the ideology: building the mosques and installing the Wahabbist preachers. Western jihadists aren't just born, they are converted and indoctrinated.

11:25 PM, January 29, 2007  
Blogger DrTaras said...

With (in your presumption) 25% of their market gone, the price per gallon (barrel) will drop significantly & so will their clout; the old supply & demand theory.

Cool: Gas-Powered 500-HP Engines
Cooler: Turning Saudi Arabia into One Big Cat Litter Box!

12:02 AM, January 30, 2007  
Blogger The_Bad said...

Very good points. Anonymous and RDS reach the same point: Islam must be de-radicalized. Until the MSM stops trying to convince us that this is a religion of peace and tolerance, this job becomes increasingly difficult.

Dr. Taras: my apologies for not referencing my source. The 25% figure came from here:

"Currently, the United States consumes 19.6 million barrels per day, of oil, which is more than 25% of the world's total"

10:50 AM, January 30, 2007  
Blogger RDS said...

the_bad: Indeed!

1:27 AM, January 31, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home